Monday, September 14, 2009

GUR = FUN!!!

So, originally I was supposed to do a triathlon this past weekend, but when I went to sign up for it, all the spaces were filled. Bummed and disappointed, I went in search for another race for that same weekend. I wasn't picky about where it was or how long, only that it would be on the same day. That's when I stumbled upon this. I immediately told Matt that we had to do it!!

So this last weekend, Matt and I drove down to Charlotte and stayed with some friends Friday and Saturday woke up and got ready. This was Matt's prep.


Mine was much less involved, but to explain, the race requires that you to either have matching uniforms, or complimentary costumes (like Batman and Robin). Matt and I went as Lindsay and Tobias Fünke from Arrested Development. If you haven't seen the show, stop what you are doing now and watch it. It is one of my favorite comedies ever.

Any way, Matt and I weren't really prepared for the magnitude of this race (ie. how far we would have to go) for prepared period. I'm glad we thought to bring out camelpacks because otherwise we would've been severely dehydrated after 4 and a half hours walking all over Charlotte, but I wish we had brought a paper map and pencil to map out our course before starting out.


Regardless of our unpreparedness, we had fun! We had to solve clues and riddles in addition to performing physical tasks. We actually teamed up with another team at one point to get done faster. The team of four were sisters who left their husbands and children at home (as apparently they do every year and this years event was doing this race). They were dressed as Thing 1's and Thing 2's. They were so nice!


Any way, we finished with a time of 4 hours, 15 minutes (which for walking 8.02 miles, I'm pretty happy with and if you want to see our route, click here) and although we didn't win the costume contest, I feel like we had the greatest costume ever. :) I would highly recommend this race to everyone! We're definitely going to do it next year and I hope you guys will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...