Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ummmm.... Heck Yes!

I've had some pretty amazing culinary adventures as of late, but I only have pictures from one of them. Yesterday, I tried recreating Cafe Rio's Pork Barbacoa Salad. I think I came pretty close, but I haven't had it in a while, so I may not be as close as I think I am. Any way, after searching for some recipes, I made up my own. Here it is:

Pork Barbacoa Deliciousness
  • 3-5 lb. Pork Roast
  • 1 7oz. Can of chipotle chiles in adobo
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp Cumin
  • 1 tsp Garlic minced
  • 1 tsp Dry Mustard
  • 1 1/2 cans of Dr. Pepper (or 18 oz)
Mix all ingredients except for the roast in a bowl, chilies and all. Place the pork roast and the sauce into a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours. At the end of the 6 hours take out the roast and shred the meat. Put about half aside for other purposes (like yummy barbecue later!). In another bowl, mix the following ingredients:
  • 18 oz Dr. Pepper
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 tsp (or more if you like the heat) Franks Red Hot Sauce
  • 1/4 cup Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet barbecue sauce
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic minced
Once you have the sauce mixed, reduce in a pot on the stove until the sauce is slightly thickened (about 5-10 minutes on medium heat). Mix in with the shredded meat and eat.

I think it's pretty good regardless. It know it's a little labor intensive, especially with making a whole new sauce, but the chilies added a great kick to the meat, but left the cooked liquid too spicy (It stings the nostrils). Any way, we used it to top a Cafe Rio-esque salad. Basically layer the following:
  • tortilla
  • rice
  • beans
  • lettue
  • pico de gayo
  • pork
  • cheese
  • squeeze o' lime
Also, I found a goo tomatillo dressing here. I actually used the recipe for the initial cooking liquid from her blog as well. I made up the second sauce on the fly with what I had. :) Any way, it was delicious.

My second adventure happened this afternoon on my way home. I stopped into the bakery on Salem Street in downtown Apex. I told the lady I wanted chocolate something and she suggested this.



I can't even remember what it was called, but I think it was something like, "The most delicious chocolatey thing you'll ever put in your mouth, ever." Ok, not really, but it should be called that! It was rich and creamy, but not too rich (which given it's size is a good thing!) I didn't eat all of it in one go, because I had to run, but boy did it fix my chocolate itch. If you ever find yourself in downtown Apex, you should definitely stop in and get this, or one of the many other delicious desserts they offer!

3 comments:

  1. Man that looks good, I'm definitely stopping by the next time I'm in Apex. Is it cake or ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a light chocolate cake with a delicious chocolate mousse then coated in a chocolate ganache. It was auh-mazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, update on the pork barbacoa! I ask my mom to try to make the recipe and compare it to the real thing (since she has one out there!) She said it was good and sort of close, but not quite. She said there was too much cumin. So reduce the cumin if you want authentic flava!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...