Friday, September 28, 2012

Things we shouldn't do...

There a ton of things we shouldn't do, but the one I feel like I'm the most guilty of right now is comparing my child to others of about the same age. I hear about some child being able to say specific words to indicate something, or how a child can walk by this point and I immediately think Evie's falling behind. It's the worst. It's like an involuntary response to which I have to mentally tell myself not to compare my child to others. I know rationally that my child is unique and that all children develop at their own pace and that, in the end, she will conquer all the milestones when she's good and ready. But it's been hard to rewire my brain to not jump to that comparison.

It's scary how much they look like each other.

Little Girl (because she's becoming less and less of a baby every day) just turned 9 months last week and there are some truly amazing things she can do and some really funny things too. For example, if I lay down on the floor and lift my shirt up, she immediately rushes over from where ever she was, drops what she was doing, to face plant into my belly. I assume she's trying to blow raspberries on my belly like I do to her when I change her diaper, but she can't quite blow out, so it's just an open-mouthed face plant. She also thinks it's really funny when someone sneezes.

But I still hear about babies who can say Dada and Mama to the correct parent at this age, or babies who are already walking and I can't help but think my baby is falling behind. How do you deal with not comparing your child (or yourself, or your marriage, etc.) to others?

1 comment:

  1. Zoey laughs sooo hard when someone sneezes! She also tries to give "raspberries" but it's more like she's eating your arm or knee or whatever's available--makes me laugh.

    As far as comparing, your kid is always gonna be a little slower on some things and a little faster on others. Zoey is already walking, but most mom's tell me their kids didn't walk til 15 months and look at me with pity for having to keep such a close eye on her. It's whatever.

    I try to limit fb time, because that doesn't help! Then I just pause to reflect every day how happy we are despite what we may not have, and how blessed we are. I've pretty much convinced myself I have a perfect marriage, a perfect baby, and I'm perfect :) But, I don't usually share that-because then people think you're annoying ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...