Thursday, August 2, 2012

No-Slip Headbands

So, my wonderful friend Shelly gave me the most wonderful headband for Christmas last year. It had velvet on the inside, so it wouldn't slip off your head. I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to have those little wispies floating in your eyes while you're running or exercising. Likewise, it's annoying to have to readjust a headband mid-workout.  So when I discovered these headbands, I was over the moon. I went to the store and bought another one, but was a little taken aback when I saw how much they were charging (14.95). When I looked at the headband, all it seemed to be was a pretty ribbon on top, velvet ribbon on the back and an elastic. So, I set out to make one of my own.

With all the choices in ribbons, the possibilities are endless!

The velvet on inside keeps this headband in place
I think they turned our pretty great and seriously, you can head bang in these and they won't budge. You should definitely think about making yourself one! You don't even need to use them for exercising! You could put it in your hair in the morning and not have to fiddle with it for the rest of the day.

All you need is:
  • Spool (or spools!) of a ribbon you like (I wouldn't use a sheer, but everything else seems to work pretty well)
  • At least 15 inches of velvet ribbon in a coordinating color (if you're having a hard time finding velvet ribbon in your local craft store, you can find some here)
  • 1/4 inch braided elastic (at least 6 inches)
  • Coordinating thread
To start off, measured out all of my pieces. My headband ribbon ended up being around 14.5 inches and my elastic was about 6, but measure the ribbon around your head from behind one ear to the other. Stretch out the ribbon in the back to your comfort level. Mine ended up being around 6 inches. If you're unsure about your measurements, leave a little extra and you can adjust it later.

Next, fold the ends of both the ribbon and the velvet about a quarter of an inch under so you have a nice finished edge when you're done. Sew those ends under so you don't have to worry about them popping up later. You don't have to do this step, but I find the going easier later on if you do it.

Then, pin the velvet to your ribbon and slide the elastic into one of the ends and pin. Sew a down one side, around the bottom where you've pinned the elastic and up the other side. Stop at the corner, and slide the elastic into the pocket between the ribbon and velvet. Sew across the last side. Try on your headband to make sure it fits. If you need, pick out the stitches and adjust your elastic and sew it back in. Back stitch over the elastic once you've got it just right to really anchor it in there on both ends and then you're done!


Wear that bad boy with pride while you're sweatin' your guts out!

1 comment:

  1. hmm i might have to try that... lately i've got the nasty gymnastics plastered hair with 50 billion clips action going on

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...