Monday, August 13, 2012

Evolutionary ponderings

On Saturday, I and three other ladies ran on the American Tobacco Trail. They ran 10 miles. I ran 9. But, to date, it's the farthest I've ever run in one go. And while I was pretty sore that day (I literally felt like my hips were going to snap apart), I was surprisingly not sore on Sunday. I mean, my calves and quads were tight, but not sore.

Which leads me to wonder if humans were really designed to be able to run for long distances. I mean, back in ye olde days where all we had were our wits and a sharp stick, we had to be able to distance ourselves from the predators that might think a McHuman nugget would be a tasty snack.

But on that same vein, didn't the guy who ran the original marathon die afterwards? So we definitely can't go on forever. And then there's guys like Usain Bolt who can run stupid fast. So, what are humans best at, physically speaking? Thoughts?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...