Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Recipe time Part Duex!

It occurred to me that I haven't been very good about posting Teri-original recipes on here, so I thought I should share with you one of my new favorite things: smoothies!

Now I know it doesn't take a genius to make a smoothie, but there is a science to it (sort of). A good smoothie should never require too much extra ice to be added, as it dilutes the flavor, and it should have a wide variety of flavors. Here's my favorite one right now:

Teri's Berry Smoothie
  • 1 cup frozen tropical fruit (My mix had mangoes, pineapple, kiwi and melons)
  • 1 cup frozen berries (My mix has blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries)
  • 1 small container of strawberry yogurt (think yoplait sized containers and the like) 
  • 1/2 cup or so (you might need extra depending on your blender) apple juice
  • roughly 4 ice cubes
Put the liquid and yogurt into the bottom of the blender and pile the fruit in on top. Blend. Add more apple juice if needed. One of the tricks to getting a smooth texture is letting the blender run for about a minute once the mixture become visually the same. You want there to be a hole down the middle of your smoothie while it's running, so that everything can get down to the blades eventually. Once you've let it run for a minute, add the ice cubes one at a time until the hole down the middle disappears. (You may need more of less than the amount of ice cubes indicated. It's not going to be the same for everybody) I've also experimented with adding protein powder. While this makes a pretty good, easy breakfast for me, it makes the smoothie really frothy, so only add the protein powder at the very end so it doesn't explode out of your blender like mine almost did this morning.

If you have any left overs, store them in an airtight container in the freezer, but use it within the next month. To thaw, set it in the fridge for about an hour and half. That will get it to a similar consistency as when you started out! I hope you enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...