Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Stroke of Pure Brilliance...

Hit me while making lunch on Sunday. I *love* breakfast, but I rarely ever eat breakfast foods for breakfast. I was making pancakes and eggs and asked Matt how he wanted his egg cooked. He said, "In a basket." Now, for those who aren't aware, an "Egg in a Basket" is a type of toast where you cut out the middle part of a piece of bread, drop the egg into the hole, and fry it. It's delicious. Now, I really didn't want to make any more carbohydrates for the meal (I mean, pancakes are enough!) and then it hit me. Cut out the middle of the pancake and drop the egg in!



I had my very first fried egg on a pancake when I was about 12. It was one of the most delicious things I had ever eaten. It might also have been the boysenberry syrup as well, but that's not the point. The point was that when you ate the egg with the pancake, the yolk runs out and get's absorbed by the bread and it's like having a really good bread pudding (which is one of my favorite desserts!). It's rich and moist, but you don't really get a huge egg flavor (because of the liberal application of syrup). You get the benefit of texture that the egg yolk brings to the party. It's simple, but delicious.

Any way, having had this stroke of brilliance, I cut out the hole, plopped the egg into it and cooked it. It was so good. I don't know if anyone has had this same "ah-ha" moment, but I think it should be a regular item on all breakfast menus from now on. I think I'll call it "Eggs in a Fluffy Basket".

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, as much as I love runny eggs, pancakes, syrup, and eggs cooked in the middle of toast, this idea made me nauseous. Maybe because I always make pancakes that are still gooey in the middle, and the the thought of pancake batter and runny eggs is gross. Or maybe it was the combination of runny eggs and syrup, which still sounds not good.

    I'm glad you and Matt enjoyed your discovery, though -- please understand that I enjoy most of your food posts {but not bread pudding}.

    www.maryslastchance.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...